Hello everyone! I thought I would take over the blog momentarily so I could communicate directly with everyone.
Sam has been doing a fabulous job with the blog and I am sure this communication will not “hold a candle” to his updates. Not only has he done a great job with the blog, but he has also been a wonderful caregiver thus far. He has been here daily since I arrived at the hospital (today is my 21st day) and stays no less than 14 hours each day. How boring do you think that is? He walks with me, straightens out my attitude when it gets a little rough, and generally waits on me hand and foot. What else could anyone ask for? In addition, when he does go home he goes to work, does the laundry and takes care of the mail/bills etc. Sounds absolutely exhausting to me. We can’t do a lot of kissing, due to germs, but we do hug a lot.
My immediate family has been a great support system and I am glad Cheryl and Linda are close enough to come and visit often and David has been able to come by as well. Jim has been down a few times from Pittsburgh, but that is a bit of a drive for him. Nonetheless, he gets in a “driving mode” and makes the trip anyway. He claims he sleeps most of the way and let’s his GPS do the rest. Go figure that one!
I have had visitors outside of the family and that has been fun as well. Sarah will be flying into BWI on Thursday to spend a few days with me and I look forward to that. She will be so bored, but she said maybe we could do some online spring shopping while she is here. I know what that means – I will be broke before she goes back to school.
I also have received a TON of cards and it is so nice getting them and reading them each day. It is also nice that my floor receptionist knows where to go and get the mail now! You should have seen the stack he brought me when he finally figured it out. I guess he is new and we didn’t know it.
My hair finally started falling out the other day. I had my head shaved (Hair Cuttery - $15) before I was admitted to the hospital so I would not have to deal with it here. Well, I was growing quite a stubble over the past 3 weeks and I told Sam, if it didn’t fall out I was going to be really angry that I shaved it. Well, a few days ago the stubble started falling out so I suspect in a few days my head will be real nice and shiny.
The staff here at Johns Hopkins is something I have never seen before. From the “Grand Poobah/Dr.” all the way down to the person who cleans your room or delivers your meals there is nothing but pure professionalism and concern for the patient. It is simply amazing and when one is in my situation it is quite comforting. They are very competent and seem to have this BMT procedure down to a science. I don’t think I could be in better hands. As a side note, they all speak English as well. Sam and I have fun with the nurses, interns and Drs. They all have great beside manners and we joke around, etc. all the time.
So a BIG THANK YOU for the cards, packages, posters, visits, prayers, support and emails! I appreciate everything you have done for me.
Love to all!
Denise
Factoid: The title/status of the medical staff at Johns Hopkins can be determined by the length of their lab coat. The titles and length of lab coats are below:
Medical Student/Interns – Short lab coat
Residents – Hip Length lab coat
Fellow/Attending Dr. – Long lab coat
I would trade places with you in a heartbeat.
ReplyDelete