Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cheerwine always makes you feel better!

  • WBC is 1850 (4500-11000)
  • Neutrophil count is 1560. (1500-7800)
  • Hematocrit is 31 (36-46)
  • Platelets count is 4 (150-350)
  • Temperature is 36.4 / 97.5
  • Heart rate is 86
  • BP is 140/56
Yesterday she managed to eat some chocolate pudding. That was all. However, this morning she has already eaten half of a banana PLUS a can of the magic soda pop from North Carolina called Cheerwine. If I had to describe it, I would say it is close to a cherry Dr Pepper, with less cherry. It is highly carbonated and very tasty. I knew our girl was feeling a little better this morning when she asked for one. I just happened to have grabbed the last 3 I had at home and brought them back to the hospital with me, so we will have to ration the remaining 2 cans.

Doubtful the therapy people will be here again today, as the platelets have not arrived. However, if you look at the numbers above and compare them to yesterday, you can see her WBC, neutrophils AND platelets all went up. Looks like the marrow is working. Anyway, the nurses (including me!) are going to help her sit up on the side of the bed for a while and let her brush her teeth. Other than that, will try to encourage eating better and getting some calories and nutrients into her so she will have some strength when therapy eventually begins

No comments:

Post a Comment