Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cycle One - Third Day of Chemo

So, I am 60% finished with my first cycle of treatment.  I met with my Oncologist's nurse today and mentioned that my injection sites were really sore and hurting me.  She informed me that I could have my treatments through an IV infusion and that would require a Picc line to be put in.  A Picc line is a long, slender, small, flexible tube that is inserted into a peripheral vein, typically in the upper arm, and advanced until the catheter tip terminates in a large vein in the chest near the heart to obtain intravenou saccess.  Hence the name of my blog - "Not Saying Another Word!"  I am not sure I would be able to handle a Picc line for the next 6 months.

I have had 2 shots in my arms, 2 in my belly, 3 on my backside near my hips and 2 on my thighs.  They turn red and are sore, but I am never telling the nurse that again.  If that is my only side effect to the Vidaza I will learn to live with it.  Other than that, I have virtually no other side effects (yet), so I feel very fortunate at this point.  I hope I can maintain this throughout the treatment.

Only 6 more injections/2 more days left in this cycle!

5 comments:

  1. I would also like to add how brave Denise has been through all of this. This has not been easy, especially when the original suspicion was acute leukemia. And if you have not seen what a Bone Marrow biopsy entails, take a look at this.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svTQ-zJHY9M

    It wasn't fun, and she has to get at least 2 more of these over the next 6 months.

    Go get 'em, Doll Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah...Happy St Patrick's Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for creating this blog. I feel like I'm there with you. Plus it is a ver efficient way to keep a lot of people informed without having to repeat yourself 100 times. Yea technology!!

    I love you and my thoughts and prayers are with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today is the last day of round 1! Congratulations on making it through this round, and we are very thankful to hear with limited side effects.
    Keep up the brave march towards total health and know that you have our complete support, thoughts and prayers in your journey.
    My irish beer this evening will raised in honor of your accomplishments this week, and in honor of the best nurse - Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise and Sam,

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you. If there is anything we can do let us know.

    All our love,

    Walt and Donna Marie

    ReplyDelete